History

180 Years of Christian Community

In 1836, St. Paul’s New English Evangelical Lutheran Church of York was formed by English speaking members of Die Deutsch Lutherische Kirche, the first Lutheran Congregation west of the Susquehanna River (est. 1733). Although for 100 years, early English settlers in York had worshiped in German with their German neighbors, by 1836, some English speakers no longer felt it necessary to worship in Martin Luther’s native tongue.

Wishing to hold services in English in their own church building, a group of members organized on February 18, 1836, purchased property at King & Beaver Streets, and conducted their first service December 12, 1836 in the partially finished basement.

Another 100 years passed. A second building replaced the first. Then after a fire destroyed the second building, St. Paul’s, St. Luke’s, and Augsburg congregations merged to form the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of today. In 1942 a beautiful new church building was dedicated at Springettsbury Avenue & George Street where it continues to welcome and serve the community in the 21st century.